Thursday, October 29, 2009

Smoothies For Ice Cream



"Age does not diminish the extreme disappointment of having your ice cream fall from the cone."-Jim Fiebig.


Ice Cream has been a favorite of treats for a long time running. It's smooth, creamy, cold, and comes in so many varieties you'll never run out of ways to try it. But, unless you spend $6 a cartoon for the "milk, cream, eggs and sugar" kind, you get a cold mound of a bunch of words I can't pronounce crammed into a container that will eventually end up in your stomach. Even with the other, its full of fat. As Brian Regan, a favorite comedian says, "hey guys, come'mere...look, I put down the serving size of ice cream as a half-a-cup. I did it as a joke, but they're going out that way." 1/2 a cup is a joke, and I have never known anyone who sticks to that size.

Instead of ice cream for movie night this Saturday, try one of these smoothies instead. I make mine in a BlendTec blender. I cannot say enough good about this blender. Its worth every penny. Stuff you couldn't imagine would blend, blends. No fight, no 5 batches, just put it in, hit blend and it does what you had hoped. I use my blender for soups, to puree sauces, it whips real whipping cream in a matter of seconds, chops nuts, and of course, makes smoothies that are cheap, good and healthy. You can pick them up on eBay pretty cheap, or a specialized kitchen store for around $300. Insanely expensive, I know, but if I had to choose between it and a dishwasher, I'd enjoy a smoothie after I finished washing my dishes by hand. Heres my recipe. :-)


Directions

  • Take one banana, 1 1/2" slice of pineapple, 2 cups of ice, 1/4 c water, 2 packets stevia, 2 tsp. vanilla and put them all in a blender. Push blend. Pour into glass, top with real whipping cream. As you sip the sweet tasting goodness known as a healthy treat, smile knowing that you might have seconds tonight, and it's okay!

    So easy a cave man can do it! My boys LOVE these smoothies, and rarely ask for ice cream anymore. We use whatever fruit we have. Steve likes banana and pears. I am looking forward to winter smoothies, as Oranges are finally cheap. I love oranges in combination with just about any fruit. The only fruit I don't like blended are apples. But be creative, try something new, and before long, you might be off ice cream too!

  • One more thing, just a quick cost comparison. An ice cream shake, regular size, on the way home from the video store for a family of 4 will cost you on average about $12. A cartoon of ice cream from the store will use the entire cartoon and provided you don't add any extras but the ice cream, will cost you anywhere from $4-$6 depending on brand. A fruit smoothie, 16 oz. for a family of four will cost you about $3. Eating fresh fruit as a delicious treat? Priceless.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment