Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

My mom used tomato soup for just about everything, I swear. It was a base for pizza sauce, meatloaf, dinner, lunch...I have clear memories of going through tomato soup like nothing else. I use it often now too, and have made up a speggetti sauce that honors the tradition of the Merritts love of Campbells....umm umm good. It takes a bit longer than opening a jar of Prego, but, as always, is well worth the small effort. Make sure it going to cover up Whole Wheat Pasta.
Ingredients
  1. 1 8 oz Can of Tomato Sauce
  2. 1 small onion chopped
  3. 1 green pepper chopped
  4. A few Sweet Basil leaves or Dried Basil will do
  5. 1 1/2 T of Worcestershire Sauce
  6. 1/4 C Brown Sugar
  7. 1 C cooked Italian Sausage...this isn't a must, I used it because I had it, but the sauce tastes really good without it too.
  8. Salt and pepper to taste
Put all the ingredients into one pot and simmer on low for about an hour. I have one son who isnt' quite ready to have chunks in his sauce, so I puree everthing together when its done simmering. Pour into a nice clean dispenser and you've got a yummy homemade sauce that will leave them asking for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment