Friday, October 30, 2009

Monster Pancakes



Saturday mornings. As a child, it brought pancakes, waffles, eggs, and home made maple syrup. At the time, I didn't have an appreciation for the home made stuff. I wanted it to come in a plastic container like at my friends house. I appreciate it now, although I rarely make it home made, as we need a sugar free variation for Andrew. I loved waking up to the smell of the fragrance that only pancakes can bring. It wasn't every Saturday, but enough for me to think about it nearly every time I make them for my kids. A good friend of mine makes a delicious variation of the pancake. She uses eggs as her base and bakes it up to a crisp. My boys love them, in all their glory; crispy, chewy and delicious. From the time you pull out the eggs from the refrigerator to when you are putting the first bite into your mouth, its only about 30 min. Mix it up, and while its baking, sit down with your kids and smile and laugh while you wait to enjoy a warm breakfast together.


Ingredients:
6 Eggs
1 C Milk
1/2 C white flour
1/2 C wheat flour
1 TBS brown Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
Dash of Salt
1/4 C Melted butter

Directions:
Place 1/4 c butter in a 9X13" pan and place in an oven and preheat to 400. Mix everything together with beaters except for the eggs. And them last, and mix them in by hand until incorporated...you don't want fluffy eggs. Cook 20 min at 400 Degrees. It will puff up in some areas, which is the part my kids love. This is why we call them "monster" pancakes. Variations: add Cinnamon, pumpkin spice, vanilla. We put maple syrup, fruit, cinnamon and sugar or jelly on top. Depends on what we have in the fridge.

This serves about 4. Goes perfect with a fruit smoothie.

No comments:

Post a Comment