Sunday, November 1, 2009

Brown Rice Chili


Its a happy day when your teen-ager walks into the kitchen, lifts the lid off the pot and happily says, "Hey, we're having rice!" Rewind 6 hours earlier to me standing in the middle of the kitchen, opening the refrigerator for the 4th time as I try to figure out what I should make for dinner. I have started thinking about dinner in the mornings while the kids eat breakfast. It has really cut down on my stress when 3 pm rolls around. I had left over rice, kidney and black beans I had been cooking for what seemed like 2 days, some veggies and a few bread sticks. Chili, I thought. It's cold outside and this might hit the spot. I haven't had chili without the goodness of beef in it, so this recipe was a new experience. It turned out really good, a little more spicy than I like, but Andrew claimed the left overs for his lunch at school. Could there be a better ending to a Sunday? Here is the recipe in all its teen-ager glory:

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups kidney beans
  • 1 c black beans
  • 2 cups water that the beans have cooked in
  • 1 c chopped or canned tomatoes.
  • 1 medium onion, chopped small
  • 1 green pepper chopped
  • 2 cups brown rice<
  • 2 tsp. cumin
  • 1/1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 beef bullion cube
  • 2 Tbs. brown sugar
  • Salt and pepper to taste


  • If you used canned beans, don't rinse first and add 1 or more cups of water to the consistency that you like. Also, if you like a more vinegar chili, add it at this time. I don't care for the flavor, and Steve easily adds it to his own bowl. Add all the ingredients into a crock pot, turn on the lowest setting and your done until dinner. Do return an hour or so later and stir to mix up the beef bullion cubes. Let the flavors meld for about 4 hours. I served mine with breadsticks. Back in the day I used to think I had to plop on some sour cream and sprinkle with cheese. The flavors are so good in this that you won't even know your missing the added fat. You probably won't even get the question of, "Where's the Beef?"

    Ryans meal was a plate with a pile of rice, a pile of beans, and a breadstick. Compromise yes, but he left the table eating what I made for dinner and he didn't even cry!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment