Saturday, November 7, 2009

Acorn Squash w/ Maple Syrup


 In the fall, we go to the Farmer's Market to enjoy getting fresh vegetables and pick out a pumpkin for the kids carving fun.  The colors are vivid and the air is crisp and fresh.  On one stand sits a variety of squash.  You know the ones I 'm talking about...bumby, small, odd shaped and very colorful.  I had always assumed they were just runts of the litter.  Squash ment for decorating only, as thats about all they could be used for.  I was wrong though, and am happy to report that Acorn squash is definitely ment for eating.

Acorn squash is green, looks like an acorn, and is very heavy.  I had no idea there was wonderful, edible food inside, until I was ready through a magazine and came across this recipe.  Steve had purchsed a few of these vegetables earlier in the week, much to my eye roll when I told him to enjoy eating his "weights."  Turns out that they are so good.  They are a little hard to cut through, but inside is quite a bit of food.  Steve baked his with absolutely nothing on them, and they were pretty good, a little sweet, and a nice smooth texture.  Andrew and I had the ones from the recipe below, and they were wonderful.

One Acorn squash is enough to feed two people.  Its actually more than enough.  Use it as your main course. Its a beautiful presentation and is sure to not disappoint.  This recipe was for four of us.  Do the following:

Cut the Acorn squash, lengthwise.  Remove seeds.
Spray a little butter around the edges and middle.  Take about a TBS of brown sugar (you could use less, but I wouldn't suggest more) and sprinkle it around the sides and a little in the middle.  Gently press down on it to ensure it will stay on the squash.  Take about a TBS of maple syrup (I used sugar-free) and drizzle it onto the squash.  Place a bit of tinfoil around each squash and place in a shallow pan that has a little bit of water in it.  Place in a 350 degree oven for 45-60 min.  Remove from oven when its soft when a fork is placed into it and carefully remove the tinfoil.  Let cool for about 5 min before serving.  We would spoon up a bite, dip in slightly in the syrup "puddle" and then take a bite.  It was so good and such a pretty piece of dinner!  This is defeinatly one that I would make for guests when I want to look fancy.  I served this with a left over oil-free stir fried rice recipe.  We were very full at the end of the meal, and cost wise, I would estimate it be about $1.50 a plate.  This ones a keeper. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment