Friday, April 16, 2010

Homemade Caramels

I love can eat an entire bag of caramels in one evening if left alone with a good movie and an electric blanket.  But, what if I want to make caramel apples or cover rice krispie treats?  I could buy a bag at $3 each and have enough to cover 5 apples, or I could take 30 min. and make my own.  Yes, 30 min, they are that easy.  The biggest thing they require is your attention.  Do not multi-task while making these!  You will have enough caramels for plenty of apples, and they are so good when cut into bite size pieces and shared.  They are easy to wrap individually in wax paper to giv  as gifts.  Today I was making dipped rice krispie treats for a party.  I dipped 15 3x2" rice krispie treats, 3 small apples, and had 15 bite size caramels.  I added up my cost for the caramel...$5.  Quite a good deal and you'll never buy bagged caramels again!  These are just as easy as unwrapping 50 caramels.  Get creative in how you use them and enjoy. :-)

Caramels

Before you start, get all your ingredients ready.  Also, fill a bowl with ice water.  You'll need it to test the caramel.  You can use a themometer if you'd like, but the times that I have used one they have not turned out.

Ingredients:

2 cubes butter cubed
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup kero syrup
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Take a seat and stir on Medium until it has a nice slow boil.  Keep stiring.  DO NOT STOP.  These will burn within moments if you quit.  When its a little thick, around 10 min, start checking every 2 min. Take a spoon and dip some out, dropping it into the ice water.  Dip your fingers in and pull it out.  If it holds its shape in a nice soft ball, they are done.  If you like your caramel a little harder, cook until it holds the shape and is more firm.  Its a little trial and error to see how you best like your caramels.  I always make them soft.  I like the texture and it is always chewy even when cold.

When done, remove from heat and stir in 2 tsp. Vanilla.  Stir and get ready to dip  You  have plenty of time to work with the caramel once removed from heat.  If you are just making them into bite size, go ahead and line a casserole pan with a cut to fit piece of parchment paper.  Spray well with oil.  Pour the mixture in and let cool.  I have poured 1/2 in a pan before, sprinkled chocolate chips on top, and covered with second 1/2 of caramel...they were so good!

For Caramel apples, dip and let cool on a sprayed piece of parchment paper.  For the rice krispies I put a sucker stick in each one.  I dipped them in caramel, drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with chocolate chips.  After they set, you can wrap them up in celephane...they look so pretty to give as gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment