Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie


Nothing tastes better than something warm and creamy on a cold winters evening.  I looked through my refrigerator tonight hoping to see that my neighbors had dropped off dinner...they hadn't. :-)  So, I pulled out what vegetables I had and came up with Chicken Pot Pie.  Marie Calander offers a delicious one for $4 and 1100 calories.  I ate it once and looked at the calories AFTER my meal.  I about had a heart attack...it was just about my entire allotment of calories for the day...happy running.  So, with the veggies before me and hungry kids at the table doing homework, I put together this yummy, filling and somewhat healthy meal.  Even the picky 9 year old ate it...go figure.  He won't touch onions with a 10 foot pole, unless its in a chicken pot pie apparently.  Enjoy.  Oh, and you can use any veggies you like, there are no rules.  I probably wouldn't use tomatoes, it would change the flavor too much, but I guess you never know unless you try.

Crust

1 C Flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
2 T cold butter cut into flour
1/3 c. milk


Veggies

1 c red potates
1 c chopped asparagus
1 c carrots
1/2 small chopped onion
1 c corn
Chicken...not a veggie but...add about 1 cup.  The leaner the better.  Skip if you want, you probably won't miss it.


Sauce
1 c chicken broth
1 c low fat cream of chicken soup
2 tsp. dill or sage


How to make it

1. Boil potates and carrots about 10 min. until mostly soft.
Simmer other veggies in small amount of chicken broth until soft.
2. Add veggies together along with condensed soup and chicken broth
(about 1/2 c broth.)
3. Place in whatever pan you want depending on the thickness of veggies you want.  I used a 9X8" pan.
4. Cover with rolled out dough, about 1/8" thick.  Brush on egg white if you'd like...I did.
5. Bake about 15 min. in a 350 degree oven.
6. Serve with a roll and a side dish of fruit, oranges look really nice.

I added up all the calories in what I put in this and with my serving sizes it came to about 250 per serving...not to bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment