Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Shepards Pie

My mom is a wonderful cook.  Growing up, there were many things that I didn't like that I really like now.  One of the meals that I remember most and is a comfort food for me is Shepards Pie.  I love it.  My kids love it.  I don't remember if this is the exact way my mother made it or not, as she follows recipes exactly.  I, on the other hand, throw in a little of this and a little of that, following the basic recipe.  This is a meal that can be made ahead of time, or within 20 min. of when dinner is suppose to be on the table.  Its warm, delicious, and very versitile.  Substitute whatever veggies you have on hand with what is in this recipe.  It will be delicious...its the sauce that makes this so yummy...my Ryan will eat just about any veggie as he doesn't really notice them.  :-)

Brown ground turkey.  I use just a little bit, like 2 cups total, the original recipe says to use a 1 lb.
Add one can tomato soup, a dash of Worchestershire suace, 1/4 cup brown sugar, a shake of oregano, salt and pepper.  Mix up and sit to the side.

Make 4-6 cups mashed potatoes and sit to the side.

Take a 8X8 baking dish and add 1 can green beans, 1 can corn.  Spread evenly.  Pour the saucey meat on the veggies and spread evenly.  Top with the mashed potatoes.  Sprinkle with a little cheese if you like, place in a 350 degree oven for 15 min to heat everything evenly and serve.  Quick, easy and yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment